Let me set the scene; you were scrolling TikTok and you found someone lip syncing “Armadillos Keep Diggin’” or dancing to the DJ remix of “Neon Moon” by Brooks and Dunn, and now it’s one week later and it’s still stuck in your head. Don’t fret, you’re not alone.
Lately it seems country music is becoming more and more prevalent on everyone’s “for you page” and many people are finding it’s not nearly as bad as they used to think it was. I’ve been listening to country music all my life and have been absolutely loving what I’m seeing from people on TikTok who are finding room in their hearts for this wonderful genre.
In this article, I’m going to present different country songs that have been very instrumental in this resurgence of love for the country sound, and give some brief info and a few suggestions for more songs you may enjoy if you enjoyed the one listed!
This insanely catchy parody of George Strait’s phenomenal “Amarillo by Morning” was done by Derek McDaniel, and caught like wildfire on TikTok. “Amarillo by Morning” is widely regarded as one of the best country songs of all time. It was originally written and performed by Terry Stafford, but gained its reputation from George Strait’s 1982 version. If you enjoy this song, then you probably would enjoy the more Texas-heavy side of country music, of which, Strait is one of the reigning kings.
Here are the suggestions I’d give:
- “Troubadour” by George Strait
- “Highwayman” by The Highwaymen
- “Rodeo Clown” by Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen
- “Marfa Lights” by Kaitlin Butts
- “Freight Train” by Aaron Watson
A remix of the hit song by Brooks and Dunn released in 1992, this took off alongside a viral dance on TikTok. If you like this song, it could be that you like the honky tonk sound of Brooks and Dunn, or maybe you just like country songs with weird production styles, either way, there will be something in these suggestions for you!
- “Brand New Man” Brooks and Dunn with Luke Combs
- “All Your’n” by Tyler Childers
- “Long Walk” by Brandy Clark
- “Honky Tonk Song” by George Jones
- “Burn Out” by Midland
This song by the deep-voiced Josh Turner gained its TikTok notoriety when many people began sharing videos of this song, usually starting with something like; “I don’t like country at all.” Then this song would play and they would be dancing along and loving it. Josh Turner is one of those singers from the early 2000s who kind of fell out of the mainstream light for a while, but managed to make a big resurgence when people started coming back to his timeless, beautiful, love songs. With that being said, these suggestions will be those love songs that use cute expressions and a wide open sound to make you feel like you’re in a field with the love of your life.
- “Forever and Ever, Amen” Cover by Josh Turner (also recommend the original version by Randy Travis)
- “In Dreams” by Sierra Ferrell
- “Kiss an Angel Good Morning” by Charlie Pride
- “Little Moments” by Brad Paisley
- “Livin’ On Love” by Alan Jackson
A newer release from Alan Jackson, “Freight Train” is an upbeat fast-moving song that gained momentum on TikTok with the Jake Bounce Remix. I already did some suggestions on a remix of a country song so this one is gonna be for the original. These suggestions are going to be more fast paced songs that still keep a very country sound.
- “Sold” by John Michael Montgomery
- “The Race is On” Cover by Charley Crockett
- “My Heart Skips a Beat” by Buck Owens
- “Faster Horses” by Tom T. Hall
- “You Can Have the Crown” by Sturgill Simpson
I know this is from Disney’s Robin Hood movie, but there is no doubt in my mind this is a country song. It is performed by Roger Miller, who had several other country hits, independent of the success “Oo-De-Lally”, the biggest of which being “King of the Road”. These suggestions will be primarily just acoustic slow, cute songs.
- “Sam” by Sturgill Simpson
- “The Big Rock Candy Mountains” by Harry McClintock
- “Raccoon and Possum” (A folk song done by many, but this one is by Dennis Weaver from “Gunsmoke”)
- “Rye Whiskey” by Stringbean A.K.A. David Akeman
- “Lady May” by Tyler Childers
— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
I’m going to end it here, I hope I’ve helped someone find some new country songs to listen to! It is a beautiful genre that can be hard to get into, but once you do, you’ll be in love. I may end up making more of these if people like them and if country TikTok keeps introducing more people to the genre!